Equanimity

 
             

   
 
 

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

 
Sina signs off. Before leaving, she asked some questions about poetry and journalism in Canada, specifically at the Globe and Mail.

I used to think it was more important to work to build the world I want than to put my energy into critiquing the world as it is. Now I want to be part of both discussions.

Doesn't that sound like the start of an "I used to.. but now.." poem.

I used to think absolute independence was desirable for the making of art. Now I get excited to listen to the top 100 songs of the year, any year.

I used to think, "One step from Manhattan and there's nothing." Now I think, "When can we get back to Philadelphia."

I used to think what poetry readings need is to be more entertaining. Now I think they could just stand to be a little more focused.

I used to think certain writers were magic keepers of secret knowledge. Now I like to read everything I can find.

I used to think there would always be some concession, some compromise or sacrifice I'd have to make to write. Now I want to make up for that lost time.

Jordan - #

 

.

HOME
&
LISTS



I'm Jordan Davis.
I write a lot.
I mention it here.

Say hi: jordan [at] jordandavis [dot] com.

The Million Poems Show.