Equanimity

 
             

   
 
 

Friday, May 26, 2006

 
Spent some time with Drew last night at La Monte Young and Marian Zazeela's Dream House installation. As they explain on the site, the environment includes a handful of Zazeela's sculptures light by red and blue light in a room on Church Street with purple-tinted windows. Four speakers create a "periodic composite sound waveform environment" from "sine wave components generated digitally in real time on a custom-designed Rayna interval synthesizer."

Basically, it's a purple room with very loud machines, an industrial dishwasher on bass, say, and an array of stamping dies on the treble. The first few minutes I involuntarily pictured Leonard Nimoy clutching his head. If you stay perfectly still the lower register overtones really get throbbing. If you move -- even change the shape of your ear canal by yawning, say -- you get a completely different tone. In other words, I was the instrument the room was playing.

I found that if I walked in a circle near the center of the room I defeated the throb while getting some nice oscillating melodies. If I stopped -- incipient headache. I decided this must be how fish feel, needing to keep moving to stay alive.

Zazeela's sculptures are kind of perfect. Drew and I took a bunch of pictures.

Open Thursdays and Saturdays 2pm to midnight. Shuffleboard down the street at that Whiskey bar.

Jordan - #

 

.

HOME
&
LISTS



I'm Jordan Davis.
I write a lot.
I mention it here.

Say hi: jordan [at] jordandavis [dot] com.

The Million Poems Show.