Equanimity

 
             

   
 
 

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

 
Jonathan believes editors sincerely believe they publish only the best. Maybe so, but I'd be surprised to meet editors who couldn't, if asked, pick out one poem so stunning it ought to persuade me to read their magazine. (I'm reading ALL the magazines that come out this year anyway, so this is puerilely hypothetical.)

In fact, most editors do pick out three or five standout poems from each issue they've created curated crated. They indicate them on journal websites, e.g. this famously NSFW one.

Why would it be surprising that very seldom do the editors' favorites from an issue overlap with my favorites, even when I like quote unquote most of the work in the issue.

Favorites, bestness -- taste tests. We know we like in small doses what tastes sweeter. That's one kind of poetry. I'd really love it if little flash-memory poems made a serious comeback; Herrick, for example, is way up in my top ten. But.

Long poems sustaining overpowering feelings and getting somewhere, speaking emotional truths to clear the air and ground all conversation in experience, desire, and lively mindfulness -- that's what I want. I get that from poetry so so rarely. When I get it I will follow it anywhere.

Jordan - #

 

.

HOME
&
LISTS



I'm Jordan Davis.
I write a lot.
I mention it here.

Say hi: jordan [at] jordandavis [dot] com.

The Million Poems Show.