Equanimity

 
             

   
 
 

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

 
Kasey weighs in on my comment Monday that there isn't any definitive writing on timbre and flow. He's right, those are vague terms -- from a literary-critical perspective; I was actually complaining about the state of hip hop criticism.

Like, where's my Schwann's with wine-tasting vocab to distinguish between Jada's mid-range raspy Woody Woodpecker vocal instrument and Young Jeezy's subdued raspy mid-range southern-accented vocal instrument; or, like, can we get a discussion of UGK's textural palette that situates a listener among all the great groups' styles, not just a Flavor Flav ==> O.D.B. analysis of group structure, but something to account for the experience of "Diamonds and Wood." (Incidentally, yes, I'm aware that windshield wiper sound goes way back.. "Front, Back, and Side to Side" etc.)

J/K.

Seriously, though -- from Yonkers to Croton there's a weird bubble of Bal'm're twang, my brother has it, Jada has it, I think they're the same age. Can we get a Dictionary of American Regional English up in this piece?

No, but really. In rap itself flow is a legitimate and contested term, and right now I'd have to guess that Jay's version is still on top. (I m'self prefer Cam'Ron's way with words, but there's not much Jay I'd advise skipping.)

I just want to know the history of the term. If I have to write that history, all right then.

Jordan - #

 

.

HOME
&
LISTS



I'm Jordan Davis.
I write a lot.
I mention it here.

Say hi: jordan [at] jordandavis [dot] com.

The Million Poems Show.